Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Green Card

Copied from a facebook message:

Well as you know I am on a green card, which means that I am intending to live and make a future for myself in America - according to Homeland Security! We have already paid $3,000 for mine etc. I knew I could travel as a green card holder but if you are out of the country for longer than 6 months at a time you will be questioned at the border and possibly denied entry. AWESOME!!! as to why you were away and you have to prove that you intend to live in the states with paprerwork showing accounts, bills, etc. If you are away for longer than a year as a green card holder you can pretty much kiss your green card goodbye, be denied entry and go through the whole application rigmarole again and as you abandoned your previous green card possibly be denied on the application and have spent $6000 at that point!!! There is no way I will abandon my green card status, basically we need to move back for another year and a half for me to be able to apply for citizenship. Which is what we need to do. My current green card expires in March and I got a letter sent to our US address stating I need to submit form I175 to apply for my 10 year green card along with $600 and attend another biometrics appointment and interview... OOPSIE I forgot, I'm in Australia!!! So I called them (skyped immigration actually, pretty stoked I could save on an international call - probably the only civilized service they offer) And was told that I have to return to the US as soon as possible. So I explained my situation, you know that I took a holiday to Australia and then it was too late being so pregnant to travel back and got stranded, and how the baby can't travel internationally until all of his immunisations have been done, and he's a certain age - and would it be ok to have Dr certificates and paperwork to prove this? Ma'am, you must return to the USA as soon as possible! ummm, yeah you said that - ok I get it! 
Called Aussie immigration, WAAAY more relaxed. As soon as Matt is granted his permanent residency here he can travel for up to FIVE years!!! As long as at the end of the five years he returns to do a 2 year stint he's ok! So basically we need to get my citizenship over and done with before we have too many kids to move around the world. Before I loose my visa status... and while Matt can travel without compromising his visa. HOWEVER he may not be granted status for a year from this December and will need permission via another application form to travel - but will need to be in Australia to receive his permanent residency!!! AWESOME! so it's a bit up in the air but we're thinking now we have to go back with NOTHING and live there temporarily to get my citizenship, then I can come and go with no drama. Then it would be his turn to get his Aussie citizenship so that we don't have to leave him at border security while we go hunting for crocs. We don't want to think about moving so soon, especially with the little man. I would probably have to work in the US to supplement our income, we don't really wanna do that AND we certainly can't afford to have our next baby in the US so... yeah! Basically we just don't want to be living in limbo for the next 5 years.


We're pretty chill about it and feel that whatever our plan is we'll figure it out! I have a lot of googling to do and forums to read... We're just going to enjoy the summer and our new friend due to arrive in 4 weeks.


But pretty much when I named this blog - I wasn't lying. Happy Thanksgiving!









1 comment:

  1. WOW DRAMA!! They are making your life difficult! Glad its starting to work out but wow they want so much money for all that! Glad your figuring it all out! Were so excited for baby to get here time has flown by! If you do have baby 2 in us we will have to chat i have gotten our baby down from 9K to 4 so thats super cheap! Even if by then you have better insurance thats good too but you have awhile! If im in UT when you move back ill volunteer babysitting duty!! :)

    ReplyDelete