Monday, March 26, 2012

How to get started...



Well since I have been posting my pictures on good old Facebook I have had a bunch of inboxes - you know who you are ;) asking for advice and help on d.i.y -ing! It's very flattering and makes me so happy to inspire people to do their own projects. It is so F.U.N. Seriously, I get so excited to use a new paint colour it drives me crazy until I get to brush on that first stroke and then it makes me smile! haha Yes - I am an addict.

I will definitely be doing more in depth tutorials for you to follow or at least link you to a great tutorial for each project. In the meantime here are some of my pointers.

* Sign up for a Pinterest account, and tell your loved ones you'll be seeing less of them soon! It is a very inspirational site and consumes me! You can find great ideas and tutorials for your projects and so much more...

* Find your local op shops, thrift stores, garage sales and see what they have. If you're anything like me, they'll know you by name in no time. Also look around your home, I bet there are quite a few pieces that you can redo.

* Check out the tradingpost and local classifieds sometimes there are super cheap good quality pieces for cheap, or sometimes for free, you just have to pick them up!

* Hit up your local Bunnings or even paint stores and ask to see their mis-tints. It's the collection of paint tins that weren't coloured to the customers requests - sometimes you can find some goodies. Just make sure they can be used on your surface. BUT my new love is grabbing one of the many many hundreds of colour swatches from the paint wall and taking it to the counter and asking for a sample pot! It usually costs around $7 and is plenty for several coats on a piece (depending on the size). Taubmans is the cheapest. That way you aren't paying $30 for paint that you only needed a small portion of and that will just sit there and never get used! Cause let's face it - it's so fun to experiment with new colours.

*Spraypaint is another great option, Bunnings didn't have a colour range that I liked, so I stocked up at Super Cheap Auto. You have to have I.D to prove you're over 18 and they're in a locked cabinet but they're a few dollars a can and the colours are pretty good. I buy a lot of their primer and use it on most projects before painting.

* Fabric! You will always want something at least medium weight. Spotlight has a wider selection that Lincraft but you might have a local snazzy fabric store where you can source some great prints for your home. My mum has a fantastic Slipcover/Upholstery business Slipcovers Australia (LIKE her page and you're awesome!) well anyway she gets designer fabric for wholesale prices. She would L.O.V.E to order some for a project for you. She literally has hundreds to choose from. So give her a call or post on her page if you want to check it out... Alternatively if you're project is too overwhelming ask her for a quote ;)

* Tools of the trade! Don't go cheap on your brushes, you'll hate yourself forever!!! The hairs come out and get stuck under the paint, they don't spread the paint evenly... YUK YUK YUK! Don't get me wrong, I don't get the most expensive ones, just not the cheapest. And something my hubby taught me was to give them a good, and I mean good wash after use, like straight away - get yourself a hard bristle brush and scrub all of the paint off it. Sandpaper - get yourself a 220 sanding block (if you don't have a sander) for in between your coats. You'll need a much more coarse grit for sanding off old paint/lacquer prior to painting, like an 80 or something. Generally speaking you will need to prepare your surface somehow. Staple gun - you can pick one up at Bunnings for around $15, that's how much mine cost. It comes with a few packets of different staples and is intended for use on upholstery... LOVE me a staple gun! On the subject of guns - you'll also need a hot glue gun. Craft stores stock these, Spotlight, Lincraft etc.

*You don't have to know how to sew or have access to a machine, but for some projects it is worthwhile.

So that should get you started for now right? Please don't be shy - if you have questions or want some help, post a comment on my blog so I can answer it out loud, chances are others have the same question :)

Happy planning.

This is my inventory for future projects and will all be for sale once completed...

Light weight all wood chair.
She'll be lime with black and white chevron print seat





This one needs some wood glue attention.
She'll be lime also with black and white damask cushions

I love the lines.

This little folding chair will need a cushion make-over not sure of colours yet.

Probably turquoise with black and white damask

Yellow damask.


Can't wait to show you how they end up!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment